We are a highly visual species. There is no denying that fact. All you would have to do is take a look at any social media platform, and you will see a myriad of selfies to confirm it. Indeed, smartphone photography has come a long way. In that time, it has taken on a whole new dimension as smartphone manufacturers try their best to keep up with the demands of a selfie-crazed world. While front-facing cameras have higher-resolutions than most professional cameras and selfie-sticks can help you capture wider angles, today, if you have the money and are so inclined, you can take your very own professional self-portrait using your phone. However, selfie sticks don’t always allow you to get as wide an angle as most people would like. That is why selfie drones are the new craze.
Selfie Drones: Selfies on A Whole Other Level
Yes, to a rational human being used to DSLR cameras on a tripod and only willing to go as far as a selfie-stick, a selfie drone might sound a tad bit too much. After all, who needs a flying robot to take their own pictures? The answer to that question would surprise you. Almost everyone who has ever taken a selfie (and that is nearly three billion people on this planet: those who have smartphones) is probably willing to try their hands at a selfie drone. It combines robotics, aeronautics, photography, and self-absorption. It is a match made in the skies.
Selfie drones have quickly become so popular that we now have compact, foldable, and highly portable models. These pocket selfie drones have high-resolution cameras integrated into the build and even allow you to take command of your selfie sessions by providing you with a wide variety of control options for the best possible imagery and result.
What Are Some of the Best Selfie Drones on the Market?
It depends on how much you have to spend on the technology. While there are mini selfie drones that could cost you less than $500, there are some that are high-end and cost a bit more. Every single one of these provides you with different options and controls for the perfect selfie. Here is a list of some of the best new selfie drones you can consider for a start:
- The DJI Mavic Pro
- The DJI Spark
- The DJI Mavic Air
- Yuneec Breeze
- Hover Passport
- JJRC H37 Elfie
These are just some of the popular options on the market today. The big selling point is that most of these pocket selfie drones are not only small, but they are foldable and very portable. In fact, most of them are no bigger than your smartphone.
Why Purchase a Selfie Drone?
You might be wondering why you should go through the trouble of buying a selfie drone while you could just use your phone and your selfie-stick. While that might be true, some advantages come with owning a selfie drone that you just wouldn’t get with a stick…no matter how long. These advantages include:
- It allows you to get creative since the image taking position is not fixed to your arm
- It allows you to capture shots from unique perspectives including aerial shots
- Some drones come with pro-level cameras attached which means your images will be superb
- The best selfie drones come with intelligent features such as vision sensors which can help elevate your selfie-taking game
Besides all these advantages, selfie drones are the new ‘cool’ thing as far as technological advancement is concerned. With smart homes and autonomous cars, why wouldn’t you want to stay ahead of the curve with a selfie drone? You will undoubtedly own the bragging rights among your selfie-stick using friends still stuck in the ‘last century.’
Things to Consider When Buying a Selfie Drone
You need to realize that this is fairly new technology and as such, it will have some teething issues. But with careful consideration, you can easily avoid all these loopholes and find yourself a proper selfie drone that you can use. Here is a checklist of the things that you should take into consideration when shopping for a selfie drone of your own:
- Image stabilization: This is a paramount factor. What good is a drone if it is going to give you blurry images? Since drones are airborne, they are going to wobble. Without image stabilization, your pictures will always look terribly
- Portability: In the past, when people wanted to take aerial images of themselves, buildings or landscapes, they used to hire helicopters and a film crew. What is the point of buying a drone that will need a moving van to transport to every location? The whole idea is to have a drone that is not only ideal regarding aerial footage but also convenient in terms of transportation as well as deployment. You need something very portable. So portable in fact that it can fit in your pockets.
- Intelligent features: You need a drone that offers you a variety of control features and flight modes. Something that you can use even gestures to direct, or something that has visual sensors, so it can locate you even without GPS. You also need something that has a timer, so you know when to smile or jump or even cartwheel.
- Ease of control: You do not want military-grade drones that require an entire command base to operate. A selfie drone should be easy enough to control that it doesn’t give you a headache. It should also have excellent flight time for better enjoyment.
To most people, all this might sound like science fiction. To hear that you can take selfies of yourself hanging from the cliff of your favorite rock climb to even self-images of yourself diving into a pool or jumping off a ledge without needing the help of a professional photography and helicopter crew is plain crazy. But that is the world we live in now, and if you are willing to learn and explore, you can get the best selfie drones that will give you incredible images at every given turn.